CHECK BEFORE HIRING A CONTRACTOR
DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU BUILD OR HAVE WORK
DONE ON YOUR HOME. DON’T HIRE JUST ANY CONTRACTOR
WHO MAY HAVE MAGICALLY APPEARD ON THE SCENE! USE
THIS CHECKLIST TO SELECT A CONTRACTOR YOU CAN TRUST
WITH YOUR FUTURE.
1. Take your time! Don’t be pressured for an immediate decision
or pushed for up-front or “in advance” payment.
2. Get a permanent business address from the contractor – not a
post office box. Ask where the contractor maintains his
business bank account and where he buys his materials.
3. Ask to see proof of workers compensation and general liability
insurance. If the contractor doesn’t have this coverage, you
could be responsible for construction-related accidents on the
4. Ask how long the contractor has been in business and request local references.
5. Get more than one estimate and be sure your insurance
company approves the proposal if appropriate.
6. Always require a complete and clearly written contract that
indicates the specific work to be done, any special conditions,
how much it will cost and an approximate date of completion.
This information is presented in the public interest by the members of the
Saline Home Builders Association
1225 Hot Springs Hwy * P. O. Box 151 * Benton, AR 72019
www.salinehba.org Phone / Fax: (501) 315-6588